Monday, July 23, 2007

Early Signs of Pregnancy

During my first pregnancy, I did not know I was pregnant till I was 4 months into the pregnancy! I hardly had any symptoms except for the missed periods here and there but I just attributed that to stress. As a result, I felt "cheated" of the joys of pregnanthood in the first trimester. I vowed not to let that happen to me again. So, I began tracking my cycle and doing some research into early pregnancy signs. Here is a really good list I found :

Eleven Major Early Pregnancy Signs :

1. Breast Changes – This is often the first sign of pregnancy. Hormones immediately begin preparing your body for breastfeeding. As early as a week after conception the area around nipples becomes darker and breasts feel swollen and more sensitive.
I'm definitely experiencing this!

2. Missed Menstrual Period – Missing a period is an obvious sign of pregnancy. But there are also other reasons for a missed period, such as stress, dieting or medicine. If your cycle is very regular, missing a period can be an early sign of pregnancy.
As of today, I'm 7 days late.

3. Spotting – Light bleeding may appear 8 to 14 days after conception. The fertilized egg implants itself in the uterine lining causing pink or brownish spotting. Many women mistake this for a menstrual period, when they're actually pregnant.
Nope. Not for me. No spotting of any kind.

4. Cramping – Cramps similar to those experienced around menstruation are sometimes a very early sign of pregnancy. The uterus walls can contract as a result of any kind of physical activity.
I'm getting lots and lots of this!

5. Nausea – Feeling nauseated and sometimes even vomiting is called "morning sickness," but it can happen any time day or night. While nausea is common between weeks four and eight in about half of all pregnancies, some women experience symptoms as early as a week or two after conception.
I'm one of the lucky few. I did not experience this during my 1st pregnancy. So, I wouldn't be surprise if I was pregnant again and not experience any morning sickness.

6. Tiredness – During early pregnancy your body is going through major hormonal changes. Your heart pumps harder and blood flows faster to bring nutrients to the baby. Exhaustion and fatigue are understandable and usually go away as your body adjusts.
Actually, for me, it's quite the opposite. I suddenly feel charged with energy and have been waking up at 4am or 5am in the last couple of days compared to being really lethargic and tired if my period is about to come.

7. Frequent Urination – Many women experience more frequent urination as early as a week or two after conception. The most intense need to urinate typically takes place in the first and third trimesters of pregnancy.
I have been going 3 times an hour!

8. Dizziness – Blood sugar is the primary source of food for a growing fetus, so it tends to drop more quickly than usual. Skipping meals or going too long without eating can make you feel dizzy, lightheaded or even faint from low blood sugar.
I felt a little bit of this yesterday when I ate my lunch an hour later than usual and also when I stand up too suddenly after sitting for awhile.

9. Mood Swings – You're not crazy, it's just hormones. Mood swings are common, even in early pregnancy. This can include irritability and crying for no apparent reason.
Arrgghh!!! I'm going crazy here because of this. I'm glad to know that if I'm pregnant, then it's the baby and not me!

10. Increased Body Temperature –Your basal body temperature (BBT), taken first thing in the morning, is higher when you ovulate and during pregnancy. So, it's a good early indicator of pregnancy when your BBT remains high.
I haven't checked so I don't really know.

11. Constipation – Pregnancy hormones slow down digestion and bowel function to insure maximum nutrient absorption.
Still normal for me.

Hmm....6 out of 11 signs. Could it be? Could it be? I know every pregnancy is different. So, even with all these signs, I guess I won't really know until I take a pregnancy test. But I'm going to wait a few more days before I do that. I don't want to take it too early in case it comes up negative even though I maybe already be pregnant. Stay tuned for an update :)


Info source :
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art7107.asp

2 comments:

HI said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are. Before I knew I was pregnant, my period was late for a week and I just had this feeling that I might be pregnant. I could smell my hubby's after shave from a mile away, my sense of smell wasn't that sensitive before. :-)

I tested on an early Sun morning and it's +ve!!

GaryWith1R said...

Great Blog Carin. It put a big smile on my face. We'll be praying for you.