Friday, July 27, 2007

Watermelons and Pregnancy

I just learnt something yesterday....watermelons and pregnancy DON'T go well together! In an earlier post, I talked about how much I love eating watermelons and how I select them. So, it is kinda hard to give that up even though I'm pregnant now. So, what is the problem with eating watermelons while you're pregnant, you may ask? Let me just tell you what happened last night. I ate 3 small slices of watermelon. I ended up going to the bathroom (to pee) every 15 minutes for 2 hours after that!! That's why!! Urrrggh....not pleasant! But SO worth it!!!

A Malaysian friend also posted a comment on my watermelon post saying that according to Chinese beliefs, it's one of the foods to avoid during pregnancy as it is a "cooling" food. I wonder if it is also to prevent pregnant women from having to go through this bathroom ordeal. I don't know if I can give up watermelons just yet :( Maybe I'll just cut it down to 1 slice every now and then!

4 comments:

Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

Just tahan bit la Carin~ I think a bite or two will be fine. haha~

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

What cooling food?! Water melons have diuretic properties, that's why! Just like air kelapa!

Carin, I didn't realize that you are pregnant! Must have missed that announcement at CHL!

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

oopss, forgot to say, CONGRATULATIONS!

Carin said...

Thank you! Thank you! Yes, I'm definitely pregnant! :) Going on 7 weeks now.