Monday, July 23, 2007

How To Select A Watermelon


I LOVE watermelons. I have been buying a watermelon almost every week this summer. Except for this one week when I bought this HUGE watermelon from a Farmer's Market that took us 2 whole weeks to eat it.

So, how do you select a watermelon?

This is how I do it :
Select watermelons that feel smooth and look slightly dull, not shiny. They should be symmetrically shaped with full rounded, not flat ends. The rind should be light green with dark green veins. The underside should have a cream or light yellowish colour, not white or pale green. I also pick it up to make sure it's heavy for it's size. I also know some people who pick it up and knock or tap on it to make sure it doesn't sound hollow.


However, all of these still do not insure a good watermelon. You just can't really judge a watermelon by the looks. But following the above, I have had 95% success rate till date.


The best bet is of course to buy watermelons that are already cut. Look for red, crisp, firm and juicy flesh which is not dry, mushy, fibrous, or stringy and has no white streaks running through it. Seeds should be dark and black or dark brown , not white, which is a sign of immaturity.



Info source :

Super Baby Book by Ruth Yaron

6 comments:

cash4referral said...

Watermelon is great during this time of the year! Thanks for posting these tips on how to best select a watermelon, I always just picked one that looked nice, lol, no rhyme or reason, but this should help :)

JamyTan said...

Have you vote for which water melon to choose at my blog @
www.seaykopitiam.com
Good to see you in the blog world

Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

I love to eat watermelon too but I havent bought any watermelon yet because they just dont look delicious . haha... Keep bloggin gal!!!

Kitman

Lynette said...

Aiyoo I must be odd one out lah. Watermelon not my cup of tea. Really miss my Jambu lar - the green ones.

Rita Ho said...

Thanks for sharing the tips, Carin. I have been using the pick and hit/miss trick, 50-50 success. How do you keep your watermelons for 2 weeks? I tried plastic-wrapping leftovers and storing in containers. Even with the Food Saver marinade vacuum, the fruit gets a kinda funny taste after 3-4 days.

Carin said...

Rita, I just cut the amount I want to eat. Then, I use aluminium foil to wrap the rest of the watermelon and stick it in the fridge. Seems to work for me.