Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Commemorating 9/11

Every year around this time, we still see lots of documentaries, specials, emails, etc. about 9/11. But I can't help but feel that after so many years, maybe too much attention is still being drawn to it. I understand that it's important for us not to forget what happened that day and not to take things for granted. But do we really need to be reminded of this tragedy to such an extend year after year after year?

I'm sorry if I offend people with this posting but my heart really goes out to the survivors of 9/11. I was watching a special on Oprah on the children of 9/11. And so many of them said that this time of the year is especially difficult for them as they are constantly bombarded with all the stuff that goes on in the media about 9/11 and all the hurt and painful feelings resurface and the loss they feel for the loved ones they lost on that tragic day. I cannot imagine having to go through that year after year and to have these painful memories dug up each time.

How many more times can we see footage of the planes hitting the towers, or people falling from the buildings or the towers collapsing? Does it make it any easier each time we watch it? Does it help those who survived the tragedy to move on with their lives? I doubt it. But that's what's being shown year after year like it was today's "just-in" news. I believe there are many other more positive and constructive ways to commemorate 9/11. And it doesn't always have to be something with shock value or done on a big scale. For me, it was just taking a moment of silence and saying a little prayer.

1 comment:

HI said...

Steve would agree with you. He said that anytime there is a lost of life, it's tragic. However, it doesn't make them more special than say a father who was killed by a drunk driver.