Tuesday, September 18, 2007

So Rewarding!

One of the things I really enjoy and find most rewarding is doing volunteer work. Being a stay-at-home mom, as busy as it is at home, it can sometimes get a little mundane and boring. Just being able to spend those few hours away from home each week to be in the "real world" makes such a big difference.

I'm currently volunteering for an organization called Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. I really enjoy volunteering here as they really value their volunteers. We receive regular training, opportunities to try new things and participate in lots of fun events and activities. As an incentive, we also get reimbursed for childcare and mileage so all we're volunteering is our time.

I'm also a mentor for a program called Adolescent Parenting Program working with teenage moms. It's hard being a mom...much less a single teen mom. I'm proud of my mentee for taking responsibility for her actions and is really trying her best to excel in her studies and care for her baby at the same time.

I think it's important to give back to society. And I certainly want to instill in my children to have such values and what better way than to lead by example. So many non-profit and volunteer organizations are always looking for people who can offer a few hours a week. Personally, I receive just as much, if not more, in return for the hours I put in. I strongly encourage anyone who's interested in volunteer work to check out some organizations in your area to see what is available and see how you can contribute.

No comments: