Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy Left-Handers Day!

August 13th 2007 is Left-Handers Day. I'm a day late but I just wanted to give a shout-out to all lefties out there. I'm a lefty too. I didn't have many left-handed friends growing up. It felt a little weird to be the odd one out. I remember having trouble learning how to write. I would constantly confuse "b" with "d" and write some of my alphabets in "mirror image". I remember doing that a lot with "c" since my name started with that!

I also struggle with everyday tools that people usually take for granted like a pair of scissors, knife, peeler, pens, etc. It's embarassing as a little Chinese kid trying to use a pair of chopsticks sitting beside someone who is right-handed. So I used to always make sure my mom is the one sitting to my left and she would not mind my chopsticks "fighting" with hers!

One of my aunts from UK sent me a bunch of really cool left-handed items when I was younger. I am still using them till this day. (Aunt Kim, if you are reading this...THANK YOU!!)

But I'm not 100% left-handed though. For example, I use the mouse with my right-hand. I also strum a guitar with my right. But I cannot write, cut or do anything else with my right hand! I found this little test online and decided to try it out myself. Here are the questions and my answers :

How Left-Handed Are You?
Imagine the centre of your back is itching. Which hand do you scratch it with? LEFT
Interlock your fingers. Which thumb is uppermost? LEFT
Imagine you are applauding. Start clapping your hands. Which hand is uppermost? NEITHER
Wink at an imaginary friend straight in front of you. Which eye does the winking? LEFT
Put your hands behind your back, one holding the other. Which hand is doing the holding? LEFT
Someone in front of you is shouting but you cannot hear the words. Cup your ear to hear better. Which ear do you cup? LEFT
Count to three on your fingers, using the forefinger of the other hand. Which forefinger do you use? LEFT
Tilt your head over on to one shoulder. Which shoulder does it touch? LEFT
Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (When the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.) RIGHT
Fold your arms. Which forearm is uppermost? RIGHT


But now, I'm a happy left-hander in a right-hand world. Being left-handed is so much a part of me, I cannot imagine living otherwise. And I guess I would not be the same person if I wasn't left-handed.

4 comments:

HI said...

Left-handed people are artsy and creative. :-)

I have become "left-handed" since giving birth cos have to hold Olivia in one hand and do things on the other. LOL

Carin said...

That's what they say. Maybe I just have not explored my talents enough. I do wish I was more artsy and creative though. Being a new mom, you learn not to only use your other hand..but your toes as well. Have you started picking up things from the floor with your toes yet? If not, you will!

Bee Ean said...

Hubby is left-handers too. Since he broke his right arm he is still able to write and play computer games. When he uses chopstick he will usually knock on me. haha

Christi said...

I'm a lefty too! But Lefthanders Day is EVERDAY for me!!!