Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Naming A Child

I believe that naming a child is a profound, spiritual matter. I believe that a person's name defines a person's essence. To me, it's a statement of the person's character, his/her identity and his/her uniqueness.

I want my children to have godly names. Names with good meanings. To me, it's a statement of what I hope my child will become and what he/she stands for.

My son's Christian and Chinese names mean "God has heard", "knowledge and righteousness". I want him to know that he is a gift from God, an answer to our prayers and I want him to grow up to be well-adjusted, gifted, knowledgeable, honest, humble and a righteous man of God.

Sometimes you wonder if parents take this responsibility of naming their child seriously....

Like this couple who tried to name their child "@" : http://www.cnn.com/2007/funnynews/08/16/strange.name.reut/

Or all the out-of-this-world celebrity baby names :
Check out Fifi Trixibelle (Bob Geldof's daughter), Seven Sirius (Erykah Badu's son), Moon Unit and Diva Muffin (Frank Zappa's daughter), Sage Moonblood (Sylvester Stallone's daughter), Spec Wildhorse (John Cougar Mallencamp's son) or Pilot Inspektor (Jason Lee's son).

3 comments:

Christi said...

Is this where we can leave our suggestions for naming my new nephew/niece to be then????

I know you have the girl's name down pat, so for boy's names, my vote is for...

Lucas is after Luke from the Bible... the beloved physician. So a doctor and a lawyer (Jayden) in the family?!?!?!

And Joshua... I love the Spanish form Josue (ho-swey) too. It means God is Salvation.

Mikael (Michiel, Mikel, Mikhail) is a family favorite. It would be a nice homage to the daddy, Miguel. Its a rare name in the U.S., and is after the archangel Michael who defeats the dragon!

...and boy do I love Christopher...

sorry people. I don't have any kids of my own so I must think of names for Other people's children!!!

xoxo,
Christi

Carin said...

Yes, suggestions are needed for boy names!!!

Miguel LOVES the name Mikael. I'm not too crazy about it. But if he's good to me, I might let him talk me into it. LOL!!!

Joshua and Christopher too common. I like Lucas or Luke. But if we name our son that, he'll get teased a lot with the Star Wars thing!!

Christi said...

well at least Lucas would be named after Skywalker!!! A Jedi!! A hero! That's an honor. Like Yoda or Optimus Prime. LOL. Its not like you're naming him Jar Jar Binks... LOL.

(I'm just teasing)

My personal favorite is Mikael. That was our baby brother's middle name... did Migs tell you that story?