Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saving Money On Groceries

Here are some tips that I use when it comes to grocery shopping. I'm sure there are more than what I have listed here. I would love to hear from some of you on how you save money on your groceries.


1. Make a shopping list. I'm such a compulsive shopper and the list helps in making sure I don't over-buy.

2. Never shop hungry. I tend to buy more when I'm hungry just because everything on the shelf looks so good!

3. Buy in bulk. I like buying in bulk for household items that we use on a regular basis like toilet paper, handsoap, etc. to get the extra savings. But the problem is...where am I going to store all these extra stuff I bought??!! So, I have two special closets just for my stockpiling.

4. Coupons. Don't buy something just because you have a coupon. I only use coupons for items I would normally buy regardless of whether I had a coupon or not like wipes, diapers, detergent, etc. I gave up coupon cliping as most of the items on the coupons are not what we usually eat/use around the house and most times, I only need one and not 3 of the items. Having to buy 3 of the same item just to save 25 cents or 50 cents...not worth it.

5. Shop alone if possible. I find that if I shop alone, I'm less distracted. I tend to only get what I have on my shopping list and not all the "extras".

6. Cook from scratch. Packaged meals are convenient but so expensive. It is much cheaper and healthier to cook meals from scratch. I know some people who do once a month cooking and freeze meals.

7. Buy generic brands. I find most of the items work just as well as the branded ones. So, why pay more?

8. Eat non-meat meals 2 or 3 times a week.

9. Check out grocery store sales. The front and back pages of the weekly store flyers are usually where the good deals are.

10. Request price matching. Stores are getting more and more competitive and many are doing price matches.

11. Shop during off-peak hours. As a SAHM, I have the luxury of doing my grocery shopping during the week while most people are at work. I find that I'm more efficient that way and will stick close to my list instead of wandering through the aisles and picking up things I don't need. Same thought goes with shopping on non-pay days.

12. Shop once a week or less. I try to limit my grocery shopping to every 2 weeks. That way, I save on gas and also reduces my impulse shopping.

13. Buy items that are in season. They are much cheaper, fresher and you can always save some for later. For example, I bought LOTS of blueberries and froze them. Now, I have blueberries to last me for months to come.

14. Don't buy non-grocery items at a grocery store. I find that most non-grocery items are more expensive at the grocery store. So, I make a separate list for these items.

15. Eat less junk food. I've noticed a huge difference in our grocery bill by cutting back on junk food, soft drinks and sweets.

3 comments:

Christi said...

The best advice is to take an impatient partner with you so that you won't dally... the "c'mon, hurry up, let's go" will keep you on task.

I use that technique in the MALL and it has saved me a LOT of money!

Thank you Mr Firefighter!

Carin said...

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me at the grocery store cos' that would mean I would not be able to get all the items and have to end up going again later without my impatient other half. LOL!!!

KLGIRL said...

Carin, I do the same things as you do except buy generic brands. I can't since my lot at home are skin-sensitive so no generic shampoos or detergents.